Pages

Wednesday 8 June 2011

Peanut butter Quinoa

For those of you that know me well, I am obsessed with peanut butter. So much so that I actually put lots of it in a bowl, microwave it, and eat it with a spoon. Mmmmmmmmm. So unbelievably good. I eat so much of it that I thought I should try natural peanut butter, because it's better for you, right? It was ok, but I prefer the normal, processed peanut butter (full of salt and sugar), so I switched back.

Now I have developed a new obsession - Quinoa. Quinoa (pronounced Keen-wah)


Quinoa information...(pronounced Keen-wah)

  • It has a nutty sort of flavour
  • It looks like a grain, but its actually a seed
  • You can get different varieties and colours. The most common colour is white, and that is the only one I have tried. But apparently there are also red and black.
  • It can be used as a breakfast cereal, as a substitute for couscous or rice, or in baked goods
  • It's gluten-free
  • It's high protein, and a source of all 8 essential amino acids, low GI and rates pretty well in terms of fibre and iron
  • And.... It's actually yummy.

Anyway, so I decided to combine my two obsessions into a (probably slightly odd) meal - I just mixed the two of them together.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup quinoa
2 tablespoons peanut butter (I use smooth, but any will do)

Method:
Cook quinoa according to the packet instructions - one part quinoa to two parts water. I actually have a microwave safe rice cooking bowl that I pop the quinoa and water in, then stick it in the microwave on the rice setting, and it cooks it perfectly.

Once thats cooked, set aside.

Place the peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl, and microwave on medium low for 50 seconds, or until runny (be careful not to burn it!)

Mix in quinoa, and eat!

Note - for a "savoury" twist, I add soy sauce.

Next step - peanut butter quinoa cookies. Oh yeah!

No comments: