Pages

Friday 17 June 2011

Cake bites ... what a mess!



Inspired by Bakerella's super cute cake balls and cake pops, I decided I had to attempt them! Most Monday's Mr X takes my baking leftovers to work - but it is a public holiday in Melbourne today (yay!) so I baked these.

This is my first attempt at cake bites. I'm making them with banana cake, but the possibilities are endless. Next time I think I'll try chocolate or a vanilla cake. Or maybe a combination of the two...

Most cake pop / ball / bites that are featured up on various blogs tend to use a cake mix, but I don't like using them so I made my own cake.


Ingredients:

Cake ingredients (Minus the cinnamon, and I upped the vanilla to 1tsp) 


Nutella icing
1/3 cup nutella, softened
1/3 cup icing sugar, sifted
2 tbs unsalted butter
less than 1/3 cup milk


Step 1# Bake cake and let it cool completely.
Step 2# Make icing (you will need between 1/3 to 2/3 cup of icing for this, depending on how big your cake is). I used about a 1/2 cup.
Step 3# Crumble cake up into a large bowl with or hands, or in the food processor.
Step 4# Mix 1/3 cup icing into the crumbled cake.


Although messy, I think it is easiest to mix with your hands until thoroughly combined. You want to achieve a texture similar to the centre of a truffle. Mix in additional icing if necessary. Basically, you just want enough icing added so that the cake crumbs are bound when you roll them into balls. What you don't want is to add so much icing that the mixture becomes mushy and wet.
Step 5# Pop mixture in the fridge for an hour or so to harden, this will make step 6 easier! Or if you want, skip this step and go straight to 6.

Step 6# Roll mixture into bite sized balls. I used a rounded tbsp of mixture per ball, and place them on a plate or tray lined with baking paper. At this stage I couldn't resist drizzling extra nutella over them....

Step 7# Pop into freezer for an hour
Step 8# Melt chocolate in a microwave safe bowl on medium, checking frequently to stir. Be careful not to burn!
Step 9# Dip balls into chocolate. This is the hardest part, and you can see from the photos that I was not awesome at it! In fact, I was terrible. I used a couple of toothpicks.


Using a toothpick, pick up a balls and dip in the chocolate. Using a second toothpick in the other hand help the ball slid off the toothpick. Lightly tap off excess chocolate. Leave to set. 


Step 10# Eat.



No comments: