Pages

Sunday 29 May 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies (NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE®)

I haven't made cookies for a while, and these would have to be one of the most popular cookie recipes out there. So while Mr X and my father in law were fixing our washing machine (I had managed to cause a blockage with one of my hair ties.... EEEEEP!), I thought I'd whip these up.


Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups chocolate (e.g. buttons, or chopped chocolate - I used 1 cup of Cadbury top deck, 1 cup dairy milk)
1 cup chopped nuts (optional - I didn't use them)
Note - I used salted butter and omitted the salt.

Method:
Pre-heat the oven to 195 degrees C. Line a cookie sheet with baking paper.
Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. 

I divided the batter into two bowls, and added 1 cup of top deck to one, and 1 cup dairy milk to the other.

The batter is quite soft, so to make it easier to handle I refrigerated it for 30 minutes before rolling out heaped tablespoon onto prepared cookie sheet. 

Bake for 9 to 11 minutes (mine took 9m:45s) 
or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

These cookies can be stored in the fridge for up to a week or be frozen for 8 weeks, according to the NESTLÉ website, I doubt they will last that long though, they smell pretty good!

They are crispy on the outside, chewy in the middle. The recipe stated it makes 4 dozen cookies using heaped table spoons - mine were pretty big "heaps", and made around 30-35 cookies.
Shoeboxgirl

No comments: