Pages

Tuesday 27 March 2012

Oat pancakes

These look like regular pancakes, don't they?
I found this recipe a few months ago. Since than, I have made these 2 or 3 times. That is saying something, because I have only offered to make them 2 or 3 times and Mr X has said yes every single time.  

There is an ingredient in here that made me a little nervous - cottage cheese. I have never used it before in cooking, but know that it is a good source of protein and low in fat. These pancakes help keep you fuller for longer than traditional pancakes made with white flour, making them a great healthy alternative.

I made the oat flour my grinding up oats in a coffee grinder.

Ingredients:
½ cup oats
½ cup cottage cheese (I use low fat)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon honey (optional)
2 eggs (or 4 egg whites)

Method:
Grind the oats in a coffee/spice grinder until they resembles a flour consistency. Add this, along with the rest of the ingredients to a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
Spray a frying pan with cooking spray (or use a little butter) and cook small amounts just like you would with regular pancakes. My only suggestion is to keep them small - large ones don't cook through very well.
Top with your preferred topping - we drizzle ours with honey.
I would have taken a photo of the finished product, but Mr X was too fast and ate them before I had a chance!

No comments: